The Collegium Musicum is FIU’s early music ensemble. It provides a forum for FIU students and members of the FIU community to study and publicly perform solo and ensemble music composed prior to 1800. Collegium’s large instrument collection includes a Carl Fudge transposing Flemish double harpsichord made possible in part through a generous grant from the Lady Suzanna P. Tweed and Carleton Tweed Charitable Foundation, a 3-rank transposing chamber continuo organ donated by Dr. Herbert and Nicole Wertheim, a Ray Nurse archlute and Daniel Larson Renaissance lute, a sackbutt, a Monk cornetto, crumhorns, a complete set of bows for baroque orchestra built by the English maker David Van Edwards, and an extensive collection of viols, vielles, and recorders donated by Theron McClure and others—community members and collegium supporters have in fact donated most of the many instruments in collegium’s collection. All of these instruments are available for use by FIU students and community members enrolled in Collegium Musicum.
Collegium members learn to apply historically aware performance practice to the vocal and instrumental music of pre-Romantic eras through the acquisition of a working practical knowledge of musical and performance style characteristics of earlier repertoires. Collegium presents concerts at FIU and throughout the community, and collegium members perform on many other concerts in conjunction with other FIU ensembles and as accompanists and ensemble members on student recitals. Collegium Musicum also offers a Viol Class.